Sunday, March 2, 2014

Photo of the Day: Mother Teresa, St. Matthew’s Cathedral, Washington DC



I took this photo late in November, when I was spending a few days of vacation in the nation’s capital. This particular shot is from Our Lady’s Chapel in the Cathedral of St. Matthew.

Even though it has been some time since I viewed the set of pictures I took that Friday morning, I identified this picture instantly. This statue of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta and a homeless man was created by Russian sculptor Leonid Bodnia. In a way, it’s a counterpart to the other image of mercy in this corner of the church: a replica of Michelangelo’s Pieta, sculpted by Felix W. de Weldon. It also honors the tireless advocate of the dispossessed who visited the cathedral back in 1974, five years before she was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace.

No comments: