Friday, January 30, 2015

Photo of the Day: Nyack Public Library, Rockland County, NY



I took this photo in late December, when I was walking around in Nyack, an upstate New York village on the west side of the Tappan Zee Bridge, notable for its Victorian homes. But one should not forget its library, either. I know I don’t.

I like the Nyack Public Library at least partly for the same reason that I like the village: its charming architecture. While the library began serving patrons back in 1879, this cobblestone building at the corner of South Broadway and Depew dates to 1903, when it was constructed with funds from Andrew Carnegie. Like most structures resulting from his largesse (1,600 built in 46 states), it is modest but built to endure.

Even though I’m from northern New Jersey, I make it a point to stop in to visit this library whenever I’m in the area. Like other libraries these days, it is high tech, but the physical appeal of this vintage building remains undeniable.

No comments: