Sunday, August 9, 2015

Photo of the Day: Hudson, the English Setter



Over the years, I have visited the Chautauqua Institution in upstate New York so frequently that I have focused on a different type of subject each time to avoid taking the same photographs. One year, it was the picturesque houses; another year, the bicycles all over the site; still another time, the flowers springing up everywhere.

This time, one of the things that struck me was the number of people with dogs. This should not be that much of a revelation—I mean, dogs are everywhere, right? But canines seem to be as individual and distinct up here as the houses and, indeed, their owners.

One such owner smilingly agreed to let his canine’s picture be taken. The dog’s name was Hudson, he said (very appropriate, I thought, given the major river in the Empire State), and he was an English setter. After a minute or two, the owner persuaded Hudson to remain still and erect long enough for me to take this photograph.

No comments: